Tuesday 9 October 2012

Lost passport in Malaysia

I just on my way once my friend called me. He seems so confused. Then slowly he told me that he's lost his passport. Phew, such a very bad news. I asked him whether maybe just misplaced in his room, he said "No, nothing in my room, I've checked everything already". Hem, poor him, I just imagined if that one happens  to me, I must be frightened. You may imagine lost passport in other country is very dangerous. That's why some colleagues of mine said, passport is your life. Since, if police get you, you will in really big trouble.

So, after I helped him to manage get new passport, I have some tips based on that experience. Here you go, just enjoy and give me some correction of any single mistake. I just want to share, maybe someday any expat who has the some problem.





1. Don't panic, just rechecked your passport in your room, bags, pocket or any other saving place. Make sure that your passport really lost.

2.  If already confirm your passport is gone, just try to remember when and where you hold it for the last time.

So, after that here the procedure you have to do.

1. Prepared your copy of working permit if any.

2. Report to police station nearby. Just give them your explanation when you realize that your passport is already gone. If they ask any service cost, just abandon them, go to the bigger police station nearby. If they are cooperative then just will give you police statement that you are really lost your passport and state that you are eligible to stay in Malaysia.

3. After got statement letter, you need to report to your employer, tell them that your problem. Then your HR will give you statement that you are really their employee and lost your passport.

4. Next step, make sure that you have already your copy of working permit, if you have all pages of your passport is better. If worst case you don't have any, just go to MDEC asked them to give you copy of working permit. They definitely will give you. And make sure that you bring all documents that you already got from police station and your employer.

5. After MDEC's settled the last step is you have to go to your embassy. Where is that? you may google it. As long as I know, most of embassies are in KL. After you are arrived in embassy, just go to lost/renew passport section. Tell them everything. And give them all documents that you have had. Then they will proceed and you have to wait for maybe several weeks.

So that's the steps in case you are lost your passport in Malaysia. So the conclusion is make sure you always have copy of your working permit, all pages of passport is better.  Don't panic, stay calm.









No comments:

Post a Comment